RETREAT INFORMATIONAll about Chanco on the James
Welcome to Chanco on the James’ Retreat Center
Chanco is proud to offer a number of retreat programs and events for all ages throughout the year such as Food for the Soul Retreat, Women’s Lenten and Advent Retreats, Men’s Retreats, alumni reunions, donor appreciation events, and more.
Visit our event page with information about all Chanco’s upcoming programs. In addition to Chanco’s own programs, there are annually as many as 60 other groups who host their events with us annually. Parish retreats, Cursillo, diocesan youth events, Happening, vestry retreats, weddings, family reunions, and more planned by schools, businesses, families, organizations, and parishes occur on Chanco’s 125-wooded acres along the James River every year. Download and view our flyer about hosting your own event at Chanco.
Whether you attend a Chanco program or plan your own, we look forward to welcoming you to Chanco’s retreat center soon!
MEETING ALL OF YOUR RETREAT NEEDS
Plan Your Next Retreat at Chanco
Chanco provides delicious meals, great hospitality, comfortable accommodations, a variety of meeting spaces, and plenty of outdoor activities for fun, fellowship, and team building all in a natural, gorgeous, wooded setting on the banks of the James River.
A ministry of the Episcopal Church in the Diocese of Souther Virginia, Chanco is open year-round to meet all of your retreat needs. Chanco offers the perfect location for your retreat or conference with beds for 70 in double occupancy, climate controlled rooms with private restrooms and can fit additional guests with roll-out cots and sleeper sofas. Groups of up to 192 can be accommodated using the rustic chalets located in our campsites.
Two houses, complete with kitchens and meeting areas are also available to meet your lodging needs. If you are looking for a more rustic experience, you may bring your own tent, or sleep in one of our chalets. Groups may request menus addressing special dietary needs including allergy restrictions, and or vegetarian and gluten free options.
Contact Chanco to host your event today and take advantage of your group having time away in a low cost, beautiful setting that is flexible to meet your group’s needs. Don’t wait – contact us today to learn more about our many fantastic programs or to plan your next event today!
- Popular Events Held at Chanco
- Youth retreat
- Clergy events
- Vestry retreats
- Specialty event retreats
- Men’s or women’s retreats
- Parish family retreats
- Business meetings
- Professional retreats
Why should I hold my event at Chanco?
- 125 wooded acres overlooking a pristine beachfront and the beautiful James River
- A peaceful location apart from the distractions of home to connect as a team, focus, work on a joint project, or simply to enjoy fellowship
- Develop your own program or bring in a guest speaker
- Many groups come to Chanco annually for a one-, two- or three-night retreat or event
- High and low ropes course and zip lines are available with trained instructors who will tailor a program to meet your specifications (available year-round)
- River front activities such as swimming, paddle boarding, kayaking, and sailing are available seasonally
- Pool available seasonally
- Chanco is close enough to be convenient, far enough from home to be a true “retreat”
- Enjoy a delicious full-service dining facility with two menu pricing options or choose to stay in one of our retreat homes with a full kitchen
- Indoor and outdoor spaces to engage in strategic planning, team building, thoughtful reflection, a group project, fellowship, worship, and more
many options for
Our Rates and Pricing
- Single occupancy rooms: $90/room per night
- Multiple occupancy rooms: $110/room per night
Additional Lodging Options
- Manor House: $450 flat fee per night
- Watson Lodge: $1,000 flat fee per night
- Taylor Infirmary: $350 flat fee per night
- Chalets: $20/person per night
- Tent camping (BYO tent): $10/person per night
Flat Fee Facility Usage
- Bluff Area: $2,500 flat fee per night (includes Manor House, 24 motel-style rooms, Flournoy Hall, Pipsico Bay Room, and River View Room)
- Entire Facility: $3,750 flat fee per night
- Chanco will provide one meeting space, appropriately sized for your group, complimentary with
overnightstay. Additional meeting spaces may be reserved for a nominal fee if available.
- Flournoy Hall: $300 (Main room – 30′ X 35′, 100 guest capacity; Study – 24′ X 15′, 20 guest capacity)
- River View Room (D): $200 (24′ X 48′, 50 guest capacity)
- Pipsico Bay Room (C): $200 (24′ X 34′, 40 guest capacity)
- Private Dining Hall: $250 (fee waived with reception)
- Pavilion (up to 300 people): $350 (50′ X 100′, 300 guest capacity)
- Spirit Hall/Chapel: $500
Standard Dining Menu Options
- Breakfast $8.50 per person
- Lunch $10.50 per person
- Dinner $18 per person
- Children age 4 and under eat free!
Economy Dining Menu Options
- Breakfast $6.50 per person
- Lunch $8.50 per person
- Dinner $12 per person
- Children age 4 and under eat free!
Chanco has skilled facilitators who will organize and facilitate your retreat. An experienced Christian educator will present material, lead open discussions, train small group leaders, and provide
- One day: $350
- Three day: $750
Anyone under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult. No lifeguard on duty, swim at your own risk.
- Swimming pool: $50/day
All participants under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult. No river use after
- Kayaks: $10/person per day
- Canoes: $10/person per day
Ropes Course Options (Minimum 8 participants)
A typical ropes course adventure lasts roughly 1.5 – 2 hours. Ask about our combo packages to experience multiple challenges for a longer adventure. In addition to participant fees, an instructor fee of $200/day is required – covers groups up to 30 people.
- Zip lines: $10/person
- High ropes: $10/person
- Low elements: $5.50/person
- High/low ropes combo: $12.50/person
- Zip/low ropes combo: $12.50/person
- Zip/high ropes combo: $17.50/person
- Campfire (includes wood, set-up, and lighting): $50
- S’mores: $2.50/person
COVID-19 Retreat Guidelines
The COVID-19 pandemic has certainly impacted all areas of our lives, and Chanco is no different. We assure you we are following all recommended safety protocol. As 2022 unfolds, we will be keeping our community informed about our events through social media and our Chanco Chatter eNewsletters. Visit chanco.org/covid/ for all the current Chanco COVID updates and policies. You may always contact us at any time with your questions. Don’t forget – with our new COVID registration policy, your deposit is no risk to you!