RETREAT INFORMATIONAll about Chanco on the James
Start Here to Plan Your Next Retreat at Chanco
Chanco on the James hosts a number of retreats that promote the spiritual and physical wellness of God’s people. We also offer a place apart where you can have your own group or individual retreat. Download a Guest Planning Guide and begin preparing for your next retreat today!
Plan Your Budget by Downloading a Rates Packet
A ministry of the Episcopal Church in the Diocese of Southern Virginia, Chanco is open year-round to meet all of your retreat needs. View our rates & pricing below and download a rates packet.
many options for
Our Rates and Pricing
- Single occupancy rooms: $75/room per night
- Multiple occupancy rooms: $100/room per night
Additional Lodging Options
- Manor House: $425 flat fee per night
- Watson Lodge: $1,000 flat fee per night
- Taylor Infirmary: $350 flat fee per night
- Chalets: $20/person per night
- Tent camping (BYO tent): $10/person per night
Flat Fee Facility Usage
- Bluff Area: $2,500 flat fee per night
- Entire Facility: $3,750 flat fee per night
- Chanco will provide one meeting space, appropriately sized for your group, complimentary with
- Additional meeting spaces may be reserved for a nominal fee if available.
- Flournoy Hall: $200 Main room – 30′ X 35′, 100 guest capacity; Study – 24′ X 15′, 20 guest capacity
- River View Room (D): $125 24′ X 48′, 50 guest capacity
- Pipsico Bay Room (C): $125 24′ X 34′, 40 guest capacity
- Dining Hall: $150 (one side only, fee waived with $300 order of reception food)
- Pavilion: $150 50′ X 100′, 300 guest capacity
Standard Dining Menu Options
- Breakfast $8.50 per person
- Lunch $10.50 per person
- Dinner $18 per person
- Children age 4 and under eat free!
Economy Dining Menu Options
- Breakfast $6.50 per person
- Lunch $8.50 per person
- Dinner $12 per person
- Children age 4 and under eat free!
Chanco has skilled facilitators who will organize and facilitate your retreat. An experienced Christian educator will present material, lead open discussions, train small group leaders, and provide
- One day: $350
- Three day: $750
Anyone under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult. No lifeguard on duty, swim at your own risk.
- Swimming pool: $50/day
All participants under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult. No river use after
- Kayaks: $10/person per day
- Canoes: $10/person per day
Ropes Course Options (Minimum 8 participants)
A typical ropes course adventure lasts roughly 1.5 – 2 hours. Ask about our combo packages to experience multiple challenges for a longer adventure. In addition to participant fees, an instructor fee of $200/day is required – covers groups up to 30 people.
- Zip lines: $10/person
- High ropes: $10/person
- Low ropes: $10/person
- High/low ropes combo: $12.50/person
- Zip/low ropes combo: $12.50/person
- Zip/high ropes combo: $17.50/person
- Campfire $25
- S’mores $2.50/person
Why Chanco for Your Next Retreat?
Chanco offers the perfect location for your next retreat or conference. We offer beds for 70 in double occupancy, climate controlled rooms with private restrooms and can fit additional guests with roll-out cots and sleeper sofas.
From any of these buildings it is just a short walk to the full service dining hall.
Benefits of a Chanco-Hosted Retreat
Two houses, complete with kitchens and meeting areas are also available to meet your lodging needs. If you are looking for a more rustic experience, you may bring your own tent, or sleep in one of our chalets. Groups may request menus addressing special dietary needs including allergy restrictions, and or vegetarian and gluten free options.
Examples of groups who have held their events at Chanco
Groups from within the Episcopal church diocesan family, area business
Other faith-based groups
Business meetings and professional retreats